- yum install samba
- yum install samba-client
For beginner, it is much much easier to configure Samba with SWAT. Here's how:
- First you need to yum install xinetd.
- Next, yum install samba-swat.x86_64
- You will then need to edit the file under /etc/xinetd.d/swat, change the disable=yes to disable=no
- Instruction in Arch Linux might have ask you to run "xinetd daemon", but I have run into trouble with that. Instead, I do "xinetd" and successfully log into SWAT configuration page in web browser.
Some important things to take note when configuring shares for access from Windows:
- for every changes made to share, samba server need to be restart. This is very different from share within Windows, whereby all changes are made effective immediately
Some useful reference:
- rlimit_max issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1428351&page=2
- rlimit_max issue (solved in Ubuntu): http://www.jfamiglietti.com/john/?p=142