Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Ubuntu Boot to Blank Screen with Blinking Underscore (Cursor)

Today I was installing the Ubuntu 14.04.02 LTS into a server using a USB thumbdrive. Everything went smooth, as usual the setup asked to remove the USB thumbdrive before continue to Reboot.

After reboot, it hangs on a black screen with blinking underscore / cursor. Waited for 15 mins, nothing happen. If you encounter the same error like I do, it is possibly caused by:

  1. a corrupted GRUB
  2. the setup simply installed the GRUB onto the USB thumbdrive accidentally. (I suspect it is because I have chosen to umount the thumbdrive during the setup)
  3. graphics driver not supported (it sounds a bit weird to me, if the setup could run well in GUI, why should a reboot not?)
For the first two reasons, a simple solution is to repair the GRUB. Here's the complete guide for Ubuntu users. For my case, because I knew the GRUB is in the thumbdrive, so I simply plug it in and choose my HDD as first boot device, it then boot into Ubuntu successfully, then I run the following command in terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
and then follow what is being instructed by the boot-repair. The only steps that caused a confusion is which disk or partition to select as GRUB install location. A rule of thumbs is don't select the partition, select the disk.

For 3rd reason - graphics driver broken. I personally do not try it, but someone from online said it can be fix by inserting the -nomodeset in between ro quiet splash. And I do believe you realize one thing now... if you could see the GRUB and able to insert the -nomodeset, well, then it is most likely your problem is more challenging, good luck hunting it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment